Meetings and Membership
Monthly meetings are free and all are welcome
Princeton PFLAG-Transgender-Net, serving all of Central New Jersey, meets on the second Monday of each month. We meet in the George Thomas Room at Trinity Church, 33 Mercer Street, Princeton, NJ. Our meetings begin at 7:00 PM and generally run until around 9:00 PM. Trinity Church is situated between Route 206 and Mercer Streets in downtown Princeton, at the intersection of Alexander Road and Mercer Street.
At each of our meetings, we begin by checking in with each of our members as well as new parents and friends who are attending for the first time. Often, our entire meeting time is devoted to discussion and "support group" activities designed to encourage old and new members to discuss issues and events which are significant in their lives, and share their experiences with the others.
As we decide on speakers and programs for meetings, from time to time we will change the listings below accordingly so that you know what to expect. We do include time for group discussion at every meeting, whether there is also a program or not.
Complete 2018 Calendar of Meetings and Events
- January 8th - Cancelled due to weather.
- February 12th - David Beverly, Judiciary Ombudsman and community liaison in Union County, will discuss the NJ Judiciary’s guidelines for legal, organizational and personal protocols in the employment and court settings. Topics will include the definition of transgender, how transgender issues can affect your loved one’s life and day-to-day interactions, employment issues and challenges, workplace relations with the public and co-workers and ways to ensure the workplace is a safe space free from discrimination.
- March 12th - Ramona Sharples, a 25-year-old trans woman, UX designer, and comic artist based in San Francisco, will share her experience of coming out, transitioning on the job, and being an out, trans millennial in the workplace. Her presentation will be followed by confidential, non-judgmental peer-facilitated discussion.
- April 9th - Peer-facilitated discussion
- May 14th - Peer-facilitated discussion
- June 11th - Michele Mazakas will present highlights of the National Geographic documentary Gender Revolution, which explores the role of genetics, brain chemistry and modern culture on gender identity. This will be followed by peer-facilitated discussion and information sharing in a safe, confidential, non-judgmental setting.
- July 9th - Peer-facilitated discussion
- August 13th - Peer-facilitated discussion
- September 10th - We will be joined by Anthony Mazakas (trans masculine agender), a seventeen year old who aims to educate others about the transgender experience. They have worked with multiple schools and organizations such as GLSEN Central NJ and Princeton PFLAG and hope to attend college to become a clinical social worker for transgender children. Following Anthony will be peer-facilitated general discussion.
- October 8th - Peer-facilitated discussion
- November 12th - Peer-facilitated discussion
- December 10th - Join us for a presentation and discussion with a panel of Princeton University LGBT Center Peer Educators, who will share their stories, answer questions, and discuss LGBTQ+ life at Princeton.
Receive our Emails
To receive the latest email bulletins about topics at our upcoming meetings, send your name, phone number and email address to PFLAG.TNET.Princeton@gmail.com
BECOME A MEMBER OF PRINCETON PFLAG!
Please take a moment and join our chapter.
By joining our chapter, you automatically become a member of the national PFLAG organization. Here are just some of the benefits of membership:
- Support of families and friends at local meetings
- Quarterly issues of the PFLAG newsletter
- Action Alerts from the national office
- Discounts on PFLAG publications
- Invitations to regional and national conferences
A one-year individual membership is $40.00.
A one-year family membership is $60.00.
A portion of the dues goes to the national office, and a portion remains with our local chapter to help us cover the costs of our meetings, programs, and outreach activities.
We would be very grateful for additional donations to help us plan for future events, and to pay rent for meeting space, postage, printing, and related organizational costs.
To join, download an application, fill it out and send it with a check payable to “Princeton PFLAG” to the address at the bottom of the application.
Thank you for your support!